Acute headaches can be incapacitating,
disrupting your daily routine and
causing considerable discomfort.
At RapidCare Emergency Room, we understand the urgency of addressing acute headaches promptly. Our specialized services cater to individuals experiencing severe headaches, offering comprehensive care with a focus on rapid relief.
What Are Acute Headaches?
Approximately 8% of emergency room visits are attributed to acute headaches. These sudden and intensifying pains in the head and neck can result from various factors, affecting the cranium, muscles, nerves, veins, arteries, eyes, ears, sinuses, and mucous membranes.
Why You May Need Treatment:
High fevers, if left untreated, can lead to severe complications, including dehydration, seizures, and organ damage. RapidCare Emergency Room is here to provide timely and effective treatment to prevent these potential complications.
The Three Most Common Types of Acute Headaches
- Onset usually in the late afternoon, lasting a few hours.
- Mild to moderate pain across the forehead or back of the head.
- Daily occurrences with sensitivity to light and sounds.
2. Migraine Headaches
- Can occur at any time, possibly associated with food sensitivities and hormonal changes.
- Moderate to severe throbbing pain, often debilitating.
- Lasts up to 3 days, accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light and sound.
3. Cluster Headaches:
- Severe pain on one side of the head, around one eye.
- Lasts 30 minutes to 2 hours, occurring multiple times daily, often at night.
- Eyelid drooping and runny nose during an episode.
Causes of Acute Headaches:
Acute headaches can be linked to stress, muscle or joint irritation, fatigue, lack of sleep, hormone level changes, food sensitivities, certain medical conditions, and trauma. A thorough examination is essential to pinpoint the precise cause.
How Are Acute Headaches Diagnosed at RapidCare Emergency Room?
Our skilled emergency physicians will assess your symptoms, inquire about the frequency and duration of headaches, and explore accompanying symptoms like blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. Some cases may require a CT Scan for a more detailed diagnosis.
Acute Headaches Treatments
Treatment options at RapidCare Emergency Room are tailored to the cause, frequency, and severity of the headaches. Common interventions include:
- Anti-Inflammatory Pain Medications
- Muscle Relaxants
- Cold Compresses on the Head and Neck
- Relaxation in a Quiet Darkened Room
When to Seek Emergency Medical Attention:
Immediate medical attention is crucial when:
- The pain is severe
- Numbness or weakness on one side of your body or face is experienced
- Headache follows a head injury
- Difficulty speaking, confusion, or forgetfulness accompanies the headache
- Headache is accompanied by fever and a stiff neck
Looking for an Emergency Room Near You? Find a Location.
RapidCare Emergency Room: Your Ally in Acute Headache Emergencies
For immediate relief and expert care for acute headaches, RapidCare Emergency Room is here for you. Call us, use our convenient online check-in, or simply walk in. Our dedicated ER physicians are available 24/7, including holidays, ensuring you receive the prompt and compassionate care you deserve. Your well-being is our top priority at RapidCare Emergency Room.